Daibutsu, Kamakura

Daibutsu, Kamakura
Daibutsu in Kamakura, June 2010. There were thousands of school kids visiting that day. It was still great fun.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Japan Photos - Something is Missing

While walking around my local Otawara Tochigi-ken neighborhood I came across these two garage/storage buildings. Both of these buildings are about 5 minute walk from each other. Do you notice something missing in each photo?



Yes, both garage/storage buildings are missing the number four. The reason is the number four in Japan is an unlucky number. The number four is considered inauspicious because it is pronounced the same as the word for death (shi). Therefore, one should not make presents that consist of four pieces, etc. In some hotels and hospitals the room number four is skipped. It seems the owners of these garage/storage buildings did not want to bring bad luck on their cars or tools.

9 comments:

  1. I've seen hotels here that are missing a fourth floor, but I've never seen anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen it before either but seeing these two different garages without the number four leads me to believe it has to do with the number superstition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:24 PM

    I notice the number 9 is also missing in the second picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good eye Anonymous. A quick Google search has revealed that 9 may also be an unlucky number.

    http://japanese.about.com/blqow7.htm

    The person who built that garage must have been extra superstitious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes - the unluckiness of 4 is a strange one

    Of course - 4 can also use the word "yon"... which is the "kun" (Japanese) reading of the character; whilst shi is the "on" (Chinese) reading.

    In fact yon is used much more often eg 24 = nijyuyon; and when describing things (e.g. 4 books = hon ga yonsatsu).

    The real mystery to all of this is... why, o why are the Japanese still so superstitious?

    It makes me wonder if we have similar sorts of remnant superstitions in our own cultures?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the additional information. It is a mystery why anyone holds on to superstitions including myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny! I remember that on my first trip to Japan, when I arrived at the hotel, since it was too early to check in I just left the luggage and the receptionist gave me a tag - it was number 4! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your trip was not unlucky Muzachan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:56 PM

    4 and 9 means death in Japan.

    ReplyDelete