Daibutsu, Kamakura

Daibutsu, Kamakura
Daibutsu in Kamakura, June 2010. There were thousands of school kids visiting that day. It was still great fun.

Monday, September 28, 2009

Gojunoto - The five story Nikko pagoda


The Gojunoto is an 1818 reconstruction of the original five-storied pagoda, which was erected in 1650, but which was lost in a fire in 1815. In order to make the tower stable enough to resist wind and earthquake forces, the center pillar is suspended on the fourth story and held 10 cm above the ground -- not resting on a foundation stone -- thereby functioning as a dynamic counterweight which maintains the center of gravity.







5 comments:

  1. Hi, great blog! This is Kim from http://www.JapanesePod101.com. Is there anyway to get in touch with you via email? You can reach us at affiliates@JapanesePod101.com.
    Thx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. May I ask why you want me to email you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey john,I also like Japan.I like Japanese Language very much.It is different language than other.I fall in love with Japanese characters, they look very different.

    Learning Japanese

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:42 AM

    Your detailed photos helped me identify this temple as the one my dad and his WW2 service buddies took their picture in 1946! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete