Daibutsu, Kamakura

Daibutsu, Kamakura
Daibutsu in Kamakura, June 2010. There were thousands of school kids visiting that day. It was still great fun.

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Prime Minister Fukuda's final email to me

Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda abruptly resigned this past weekend. It was a surprise to most people and there were no clear reasons given by Mr. Fukuda as to why he chose to resign.

I receive the Prime Minister's monthly email magazine. The last one I received from Mr. Fukuda was on August 28th. Here are some quotes from Mr. Yasuo Fukuda's email message:

"I believe that politicians must constantly feel and fear the sharp gaze of the people on them."

Maybe this is one of the reasons he quit, he couldn't take the sharp gaze anymore.

"Safety, a sense of reassurance, and trust. How can these be shared with the people? I am confident that the many policies that I promote from the public's viewpoint will meet with the understanding of the people."

He lost his confidence pretty quickly apparently. It is surprising how confident Mr. Fukuda was in having the understanding of the people seeing as his approval ratings were plunging below 30%.

"I am determined to steadily produce results one by one, as unpretentious as my efforts may seem. I believe that it is only by steadily plodding forward on that path that we will be able to restore trust in politics and the administration."

I wonder what made him decide to stop plodding forward?

I look forward to the next Prime Minister's email messages to me, probably from Mr. Taro Aso.

2 comments:

  1. Why is it that there is such a quick turn-over of Prime Ministers here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wondered the same thing. I know the PM system is different then the presidential system. But in England, which also uses the Prime Minister system, their PM's are in power often for ten or more years.

    I think it is a cultural difference. In Japan, if you have been unable to accomplish what you want, you feel it is your duty or obligation to resign.

    ReplyDelete