Daibutsu, Kamakura

Daibutsu, Kamakura
Daibutsu in Kamakura, June 2010. There were thousands of school kids visiting that day. It was still great fun.

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Red Shadow: Akakage


2001 film from director Hiroyuki Nakano.

Red Shadow, Blue Shadow and Aska are neophyte ninjas under the tutelage of the great warrior White Shadow. Their lives are a series of perilous missions that entail intrigue, deception and intimidation. Will they survive an obstacle course of death traps, highly skilled opponents and personal struggles against their own weaknesses?

I didn't like this movie. This movie was very boring with lots of bad acting. It is full of stupid, incompetent ninjas. It did have a couple of funny Star Wars scenes. One where a ninja was blocking dozens of throwing weapons with his sword as if he was a Jedi blocking laser blasts with his light saber. Later, a ninja master puts a remote choke hold on an opponent with with a Darth Vader type death grip. I understand that this is probably supposed to be a spoof of classic ninja movies but I guess I am just not sophisticated enough to get the spoof humor in this movie. I didn't think the spoof humor was funny enough for me. I am just a simpleton that likes classic spoof humor from movies like Airplane.

2 comments:

  1. I remember watching this movie with my dad. He thought it was a riot.

    The directors also did Samurai Fiction, (like it says on the cover.) I remember there being some tie in to Samurai Fiction, but i don't remember what it was.

    Samurai Fiction was a much better movie. It still had its quirky parts, like the yakuza... and the weird relationship between the antagonist and his sidekick.

    Samurai Fiction, unlike this movie, captures a taste of the Japanese flair for subtly and raw experience that this movie doesn't. Samurai Fiction flirts some of the feeling that Twilight Samurai is renowned for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Samurai Fiction as well and also liked it. From what I recall, the beginning of both movies were similar in that incident on the road with the lone samurai who is confronted by the other samurai who refuse to let him pass.

    I guess for me and spoofs, I like knee slapping humor (Airplane), and this did not have that for me. There were some funny parts though.

    ReplyDelete