Daibutsu, Kamakura

Daibutsu, Kamakura
Daibutsu in Kamakura, June 2010. There were thousands of school kids visiting that day. It was still great fun.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Haikyo House

This a haikyo (abandoned) house in a neighborhood in Otawara, Tochigi Japan. Due to the real estate bust of the 1990s and stagnant population growth, you will find a lot of these types of buildings throughout Japan. This one is right in the middle of an active neighborhood.


Please visit Budget Trouble blog that has plenty more great photos from Japan and where you can submit your own Show Me Japan photos.


9 comments:

  1. That looks so familiar. I have a mental map of all the abandoned houses I've come across in okazaki. It's crazy just how many there are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope all is well with your family in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. We were fortunate that no one was hurt. But my father-in-laws house was severely damaged in Tochigi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And the scariest part is that you think that it's abandoned, but sometimes it turns out someone actually lives in such a dump. I've made that mistake more than once.

    It's a great Show Me Japan entry. Thanks!

    PS> Could you link back to the meme? Pretty please? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're absolutely right. I have seen a lot of those haikyo looking but occupied houses. But I would be shocked if anyone was living in this one. But you never know.

    Done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No photos of the interior (through the windows of course)?

    Yeah, I do see quite a few of these about. They always draw my interest though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was so overgrown on the other side I am not sure if I could see the other side of the house. Plus I was still a little nervous to go walking around the house. Like Anna said, you never know if someone lives there. Plus there were occupied houses on all sides and people walking on the narrow street.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Kyushudan, I was wondering about the interior too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I posted another photo but I can't remember if it is the same house. I thought it was from a different side but I am not certain. Looks like there are some windows. It was so overgrown around the house.

    ReplyDelete