Daibutsu, Kamakura

Daibutsu, Kamakura
Daibutsu in Kamakura, June 2010. There were thousands of school kids visiting that day. It was still great fun.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Mr. Aso's Latent Power

Once again, Aso is talking about Japan's latent power. Latent is defined as unrealized or not presently visible. In Aso's 2nd email newsletter, he again talks about Japan's latent power. In his message he states, "Japanese people should have more confidence in their latent powers. Japan must be "strong and bright." I hope to expand upon these ideas through this weekly e-mail magazine, and this issue marks its official inauguration."

It seems to me that Aso feels that Japan is a sleeping giant? Once the Japanese people realize their latent power, the nation will awake and become "strong and bright".

I think Japan's future will be strong and bright. I guess I actually can agree to Mr. Aso's idea about latent power. Japan just needs to figure out how to remain a "strong and bright" nation in the face of a declining and aging population and growing international political and economic competition.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:41 PM

    I swear, that whole thing about Japan having nothing but old people and not enough babies must be some kind of a myth. Everywhere I go, whether it's in the country or in the city, there's nothing BUT kids and babies.

    That spiel might have been accurate a few years back, but it sure doesn't seem to apply anymore, at least not from what I've seen. *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. All population estimates show a declining population. Usually when I go to Japan I only see one or maybe two kids per family. They really need to be having at least three kids for the population to grow. Especially with little immigration. America's pop is still growing rapidly, largely from immigration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:16 AM

    I associate Japan as a producer of affordable cars n electronical appliances. South Korea is on the rise but Japan is still a step ahead, even with China n India at their heels - consumer goods-wise. Goods produced in China n India lacks a certain image of reliability, don't u agree ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dutchie, I do agree. Japan is also the world leader in robotics.

    ReplyDelete