Daibutsu, Kamakura

Daibutsu, Kamakura
Daibutsu in Kamakura, June 2010. There were thousands of school kids visiting that day. It was still great fun.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Tochigi, Japan




I just returned from a short trip to Tochigi, Japan. I spent some time in Nikko where I attended a Buddhist 49th day service. It was very interesting as I have never participated in this type of ceremony in my life. It was very cold in Tochigi but it had not yet started snowing.

While I was there, I visited an Aeon Supercenter which is kind of like a Wal-Mart Supercenter except that the Aeon Supercenter is much cleaner and more organized than any Wal-Mart store I have ever been in. Shoppers back here in America are very sloppy and the stores in America also don't take much effort to keep organized and pick up merchandise that has fallen to the floor. Wal-Mart, Target and Ross stores are the worst. In Japan, retail stores are much cleaner and more organized. I don't recall ever seeing a peice of clothing on the floor in a Japanese retail store.

I also ate at several restaurants. It is a myth that everthing is expensive in Japan for foreigners. Although it may be expensive in Tokyo in someplaces where the foreign tourists go, much of Japan is not that expensive. One restaurant we went to, three of us stuffed ourselves with several different types of food such as pizza and pasta and I had a cheesy meat sauce rice dish and it all cost only about $20.00. Ramen places and restaurants such as Coco's are not expensive at all. In addition, a retail store called Uniqlo, which is like the Gap, is very inexpensive. They have things like two fleece jackets for only about $30.00. Really cheap.

I ate at McDonald's in Japan for the first time. I assumed that McDonald's in Japan or in any other country would taste different than in the United States. However, it tasted the same. The cheeseburger and the fries tasted just as good and the burger was the same size. I was under the impression that it would be smaller but it wasn't.

So if you are visiting Japan, stay away from the typical tourist type restaurants like the ones near your hotel or in the Ginza and try and find the basic ramen place or a Coco's.

1 comment:

  1. Oh! You came(went?) back Japan?
    I know,Japan is cold now.
    Nagano is very cold!!

    I like Coco's,too.
    Of couse,I like ramen.
    But in Japan,everytjing is expensive...
    I was very surpraised in USA prise.

    I like McDonalds and have worked there!!

    ReplyDelete