Daibutsu, Kamakura

Daibutsu, Kamakura
Daibutsu in Kamakura, June 2010. There were thousands of school kids visiting that day. It was still great fun.

Friday, July 25, 2008

Meme

I am told that a "meme" is something that gets passed around on the Internet. You follow the rules and then you "tag" someone else and ask them to do the same.

I was tagged by Thomas at Hello Mother, Hello Father.
Here are the rules.
1. List the rules on your blog.
2. Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog.
3. Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.

  1. I was born and raised in Santa Barbara, California, a popular seaside tourist city an hour North of Los Angeles. I moved to Los Angeles when I was 21. People ask why the heck did I leave beautiful Santa Barbara? I guess I was bored and wanted to experience the big city. Plus, Santa Barbara did not have any ice rinks and I wanted to play ice hockey.
  2. I have had only four jobs in my entire life. I worked at McDonald's in SB for four years; at REI, an outdoor equipment store, for five years; and my current job at a government agency. For two years, I worked at a bike shop on weekends while working at my current job.
  3. I went to college on the 10 year plan back in the 90's. My problem was I wanted to also play hockey, go mountain biking, go skiing and snowboarding, go out and have fun, etc. School and homework were not always a priority. But I eventually finished thank God.
  4. Since 2003 I have been to Japan five times visiting my wife's family in Tochigi. Before that the only foreign countries I ever visited were Mexico and Canada, both of which are really not that foreign to a Californian. Japan was (and is) so different and unique and I love visiting.
  5. Although I've always been very active, I have never broken any bones. Except my nose was broken playing hockey. And lots of stitches.
  6. I have a pug named Mollybu. The bu is supposed to mean pig in Japanese and she looks and sounds like a pig. And eats like one.
  7. The tallest mountain I have been to the top of is 14,500 feet or 4,420 meters.

I don't know if they have already been tagged but I am tagging David at About Tochigi, Dateline Osaka at Life in the Korean Ghetto, Ad at Japan Navigator, Gerald at The Level 8 Buddhist, Roaf at Gaijin Tonic, Michael at Big Red Dot, and Martin at Kurashi - News From Japan.

8 comments:

  1. Hello Tornado,

    I've seen that you comment a lot on my friend Mike Beddell's site a lot and finally checked out your site. I liked it and added a link to it in my blogroll.

    If you care to reciprocate the section of my site concerning Japan is:

    http://jasoncollin.org/category/japan/

    Or you can just add the general URL if you want.

    I am also into cycling as well. I might move from Tokyo to California early next year.

    Feel free to delete this comment of course upon reading it. I saw no other way of being able to contact you through your site, so just left this comment.

    Thanks, Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jason. I will do that.

    California is the best place for cycling, both road and mountain biking. How come you will be leaving Japan for Cali?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! TAGGED! I'll take the challenge! ^_^V

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jon,
    I like the meme. Nice to get to know you a bit better.

    [start excuse section]
    I'm on my way out the door for 3 weeks in Hokaido. I'm afraid I won't get the meme done for a little while. And I only have one friend who blogs and he has already done this meme ;-) And I don't like to put personal things on my blog since its supposed to be purely about Japan and not me. I hope you don't mind if I put it at my personal blog (and maybe in my profile at blogger).

    cheers,
    david

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, the nose isn't really a bone ...

    I haven't ever broken any bones either. I'm really surprised you haven't with the mountain biking and all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool meme very informative

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Thomas. I've been lucky I guess. I have crashed on the bike a lot and had to get stitches though.

    Thank you Jamaipanese for the comment. I recently found your site and I like it.

    ReplyDelete